10 years in real estate. 10 things that have changed.
Blink. And it’s been 10 years. 10 years in real estate. I reached that milestone in May this year. What a ride!
A lot has changed in ten years, but the fundamentals stay the same. It's still a stressful time for buyers and sellers, it's still competitive, and for me - it's still fun.
10 things that have changed in 10 years
1. No one wants to drive with me to look at houses anymore
2. Launching a property takes days, not weeks
3. Everyone has a real estate app on their phone (well mostly)
4. Great photos are everything! (and now we have drone videos and virtual walkthroughs)
5. Buyers are smarter - they're better informed
6. Agents aren't the gatekeepers of information anymore - it's out there
7. There are more options for private sellers
8. More real estate firms - more choice, more competition, more agents (good and bad)
9. Being a Dad makes it harder to work nights and Sundays!
10. I've lost my babyface (mostly) and have a few more grey hairs
So what's in store for the next 10 years?
Hmm. Should be interesting. Here are a few of my predictions...
- Online auctions will become more popular eg: www.propfi.auction
- There'll be even more free information available on homes eg: www.homes.co.nz
- Home ownership rates will reduce further and affordability issues will persist
- There'll be fewer, but better agents (only the strong will survive)
- Consumer protection around Real Estate will continue to improve
- Customer satisfaction will be the key measure of business success
And for me?
I'll stay focused on doing a great job and having fun (and I'll probably grow a few more grey hairs).< Back to Blog Articles